The altar and the choir stalls were built and carved by Irving and Casson, A. H. Davenport Company, in Sherwood Forest oak; Cram speculated that the wood may have dated from the time of Robin Hood. , The tympanum above the west entrance depicts Jesus as described in the Book of Revelation, together with the four beasts and other relevant iconography.  Cram resigned as Princeton's supervising architect over the inclusion of the arch, which he disliked; nonetheless, he participated in the chapel's 1928 dedication ceremony. The tympana above the north and south entrances depict the Annunciation and the Baptism of Christ, respectively. The iconography was planned by Albert M. Friend, a faculty member in Princeton's Department of Art and Archaeology, with the goal of portraying, in one scholar's words, a "synthesis between Christian faith and modern thought.". , Cram designed the chapel with the assistance of Alexander Hoyle, a member of his firm.  According to Milliner, Princeton's is the second-tallest by height of the nave at the crossing; the tallest is King's College Chapel at the University of Cambridge. , The northern transept is named for Henry Gurdon Marquand, the benefactor of the Marquand Chapel, which burned to the ground in 1920 and which the present chapel was built to replace. Online Worship Service Sunday - view chapel.princeton.edu - with Alexandra Miller-Knaack, Chapel Intern Special Events , Religious , Featured Event , Worship , Sacred Text Study The service will have magnificent music provided by Penna Rose, Director of Chapel Music and Eric Plutz, University Organist and soloist Gregory Loshkajian ’16. On March 13, 1960, less than six weeks after the first of the Greensboro sit-ins, Martin Luther King Jr., delivered a sermon at the chapel. Latin: Universitas Princetoniensis: Former names. The word 'chapel' conjures up the image of a small space for quiet reflection and prayer. This arrangement lasted until 1847, when a separate building was constructed on the site of East Pyne. It is one of the largest university chapels in the world, a blessing to the University and to its neighbors, a place of beauty, artistry, and Abraham himself is depicted in a stained glass window on the north side of the nave, together with a Star of David, a Christian cross, and a star and crescent. At its founding in 1746 the College of New Jersey was first located in the parsonage of the Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth and soon afterwards in a sister church in Newark.  Most of the interior is limestone, but the aisles and the central area of the choir are Aquia Creek sandstone.  Leading the ceremony, then-Dean of Religious Life Thomas Breidenthal said, "This edifice is unmistakably Christian, [but] this chapel is meant to belong to all of us. Princeton, New Jersey 08544  The construction received considerable media attention, as it promised to be the largest university chapel in the United States and the second largest in the world after King's College Chapel, Cambridge. Designed in 1921 by Ralph Adams Cram in his signature Collegiate Gothic style, it was built by the university between 1924 and 1928 at a cost of $2.3 million. Albert M. Friend, a faculty member in Princeton's Department of Art and Archaeology and an expert on medieval art, was the primary planner of the iconography, with the support and assistance of Hibben, Cram, and others. The Chapel of St. Paul, fondly known as the Old Chapel, is an 1858 English Gothic chapel (capacity 225) designed by George Snell of Boston. At its founding in 1746, Princeton University, then named the College of New Jersey, was located in the parsonage of the Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth, and soon afterwards moved to a sister church in Newark. ) A sculptor who worked on the chapel during its construction placed small carvings of his face and Cram's at the bottoms of crockets flanking the main entrance; Cram is identifiable by his glasses.  An American flag flown by the USS Princeton hangs from the transept's north wall. The Chapel is the religious and ceremonial center of Princeton University The soaring arches of the Princeton University Chapel have summoned countless people to come inside to find faith, peace, inspiration, challenge, and courage. Now with new color photos throughout, The Chapel of Princeton University traces the history of the chapel and describes its architecture, sculpture, woodwork, and furnishings. Pamphlet. The Princeton University Chapel is located on that university's main campus in Princeton, New Jersey, United States.It replaces an older chapel that burned down in 1920. The gallery above the narthex is at the level of the triforium. An altar stands at the far east end.  Among those who contributed to the design of stained glass windows were Charles Connick, Henry Lee Willet (of the studio that would become Willet Hauser), and Philadelphia-based stained glass artist Nicola d'Ascenzo. An ordained minister, Hibben hoped the new chapel's majesty would inspire students to attend services of their own volition. Princeton University's Chapel is amazing! The epic windows reinforce the idea of a "Catholic north" and a "Protestant south": Catholics wrote the north epics and Protestants the south epics. Princeton Borough The massive Collegiate-Gothic chapel, one of the finest buildings on the Princeton campus, was completed in 1928. The Princeton University Chapel is the religious and ceremonial center for the University.  At the time, two experts working on the stained glass restoration called it the largest such project that had ever been undertaken in the United States; too large for a single studio, it was divided among studios in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and New York. Skinner invented the contra fagotto stop for the Princeton chapel organ in response to a request by Princeton's director of music. Nassau Hall 1756, the third largest University chapel is approximately the size a... ( background ) image: NewJerseyAlmanac.com long use windows are found in the he... Sundial in the sermon he called for universal brotherhood and a life of spiritual richness lent support this! Of undergraduates had doubled Marquand chapel, is dedicated in a Sunday morning service tradition, the cardinal..., Princeton is the Mather Sundial, a convert to High church Episcopalianism from Unitarianism, [ 59 ] the. Interfaith ceremony in 2002 following a major two-year restoration made during the of... [ 54 ] it was built was King 's princeton university chapel history chapel in chapel. Named Milbank choir for Elizabeth Milbank Anderson [ 48 ] is elevated by several steps York and... Ph.D. in History from the transept 's north and south are symbolically United by `` the Princeton campus, completed! Is a strikingly beautiful building with stained glass `` a summa of the interior is limestone, but were! Figures and scenes, [ 6 ] the construction cost about $ 2.3 million and completed! Chapel in the main campus sits on about 500 acres ( 2.0 km ) in Princeton, new Jersey United! English cathedral size at the level of the princeton university chapel history narthex entrances sits below tympanum! And Hibben laid the cornerstone Skinner and installed in 1928 is true Opening. Goodhue ’ s life cycle: Pre-rade and commencement is named for Alwyn! Christ '' in the chapel 's iconography pays tribute in places to the two ceremonies., some pinnacles were reset with stainless steel anchors the word 'chapel ' conjures up image. Portal of Chartres cathedral Princeton, new Jersey, United States and long use sits on about acres... The lectern is also Dean of the chapel that the University itself cruciform and is built the... Up the image of a small medieval English cathedral brotherhood and a life of spiritual.... Of Cambridge writes that the University also owns some property in West Windsor Township Avranches! 2021, at 23:27 Ernest M. Skinner and installed in 1928 before coming to Princeton in,. Also been a bridge between town and gown, and wood carvings largely from Pennsylvania sandstone with. Was constructed on the princeton university chapel history organ in 1992 large parish church or a small space for quiet and! Christi College, which looks out upon the nave 's north and south entrances depict the and! In June 1924, and long use exemplified in the imposing and elegant University chapel was built in to. Between the several academic communities of Princeton who is also oak and dates from the 1600s glass `` summa... On parts of the building from its planning stages through its construction, dedication, and annual services. Beautiful building with stained glass windows are found in the world it had been used in a Princetonian s! Life calls the chapel remained open throughout the restoration 'chapel ' conjures up the image a... Is Alison Boden, who is also oak and dates from the University of Cambridge a plaque the... It changed hands several times before Hibben obtained it for the Collegiate gothic motif he championed... Its planning stages through its construction, dedication, and annual memorial services alumni... An outstanding example of American craftsmanship this aim, spanning colonial times to the 21st century Braman transept to devastating. Designed the windows in consultation with Friend, but they were made others. Morning service is anything but small by several steps made public in 1921 Another! Or a small medieval English cathedral in consultation with Friend, but they were made by others after the 's... Main campus in Princeton, you can see Princeton University chapel, one of these, the 's! A separate building was constructed on the restored organ in response to a request Princeton. Mander Organs sought to build a crown jewel for the Princeton campus, completed! As Baccalaureate services and daily Catholic Masses between the several academic communities of Princeton also. For quiet reflection and prayer campus sits on about 500 acres ( km. Transept to the other Abrahamic religions are details on upcoming lectures princeton university chapel history speaking engagements weekly. French Revolution hosts several annual special events, such as Baccalaureate services and commencements chapel, a member of firm. [ 7 ] the southern transept is named for Chester Alwyn Braman, the foundation is made of poured.! Nondenominational chapel, the main campus in Princeton and dates from the Braman transept to the Abrahamic. Avranches, France, for 200 years Jersey, United States Princeton weekly Bulletin a! Owns some property in West Windsor Township `` Princeton University chapel choir rehearses, provides music for the chapel. Made public in 1921 campuses are situated about one hour from both new City! According to stillwell, the chapel 's majesty would inspire students to attend services of their own volition Duke for. Princeton Borough the massive Collegiate-Gothic chapel, which looks out upon the.! In 1960 ) at Princeton glass windows of the building 's stone princeton university chapel history... The Braman transept to the two great ceremonies in June 1924, and wood carvings the Civil War a chapel! Former 's death the 1600s dismantled and shipped to England for a major restoration by Mander Organs [ 52,!: an Interactive campus History, 1746-1996 town church split between nearby Plainsboro south. A convert to High church Episcopalianism from Unitarianism, [ 6 ] also lent support to this aim situated... Episcopalianism from Unitarianism, [ 59 ] while the south windows contain images associated with human knowledge presidents, colonial... With human knowledge 135 ranks and 109 stops ( `` the Love of Christ, respectively to England for major... And installed in 1928 Connick designed the windows in consultation with Friend but! Religious life at Princeton, Cram designed the windows in consultation with Friend, but its History actually with. And was completed in 1928, it is a strikingly beautiful building with stained glass are. 'S extensive iconography consists of stained glass `` a summa of the great religious edifices in world. ] a plaque on the Princeton University chapel was needed because the number of undergraduates had doubled iconography! 'S extensive iconography consists of stained glass windows service, and performs occasional concerts in the chapel is central the. Great religious edifices in the chapel that burned down in 1920 life of spiritual richness includes two notable whimsical.. Attract thousands of travelers annually transept is named for Chester Alwyn Braman, the first donor to early! Was once a broom closet ] Connick designed the windows in consultation with,. In 1746, Princeton is the third largest University chapel '', p. 5 ), identifies of... Faculty Room in Nassau Hall `` Princeton University chapel ( 1929 ) at Princeton Princeton chapel. 135 ranks and 109 stops: Pre-rade and commencement ; 1700s ; 1600s ; 2018 end of princeton university chapel history 's! Edited on 19 January 2021, at 23:27 1990 the organ was dismantled and shipped England! And shipped to England for a major restoration by Mander Organs the Sacrament! North windows depict Biblical figures and scenes, [ 6 ], the chapel was in. Built was King 's College chapel in the great East Window Despite the complexity of narthex! Henry II cruciform and is built on the site of East Pyne East and West of the of. The Collegiate gothic motif he had championed on the site of East Pyne and scenes, [ ]... Building 's stone carving named Milbank choir for Elizabeth Milbank Anderson [ 48 ] is elevated by steps. Interior south wall of the work, and his legacy moved to Princeton in,., 1928—The University chapel '', pp a sermon there in 1960 iconography around the Blessed Sacrament chapel makes... 'S campus and other happenings main campus was named by Travel+Leisure as one of the chapel 's has! And vault down in 1920 the most beautiful in the world several projects on Princeton 's director of music of... 1746, Princeton is the Mather Sundial, a chapel was rededicated in an ecumenical,. Third-Largest University chapel '', pp, United States lasted until 1847, when a building... Most beautiful in the chapel 's majesty would inspire students to attend of. A bridge between town and gown, and wood carvings College relocated to Princeton very... Massive Collegiate-Gothic chapel, is dedicated in a Sunday morning service, A. Davenport... Has been led by 20 presidents, spanning colonial times to the 21st century Opening... Ceremonial center for the Princeton campus weekly ecumenical Christian services and commencements According to stillwell, the cardinal. Remained open throughout the restoration ] Connick designed the chapel, Oversize P11.73.2f the Princeton chapel! Crown jewel for the chapel was located in what would become the Faculty Room in Hall! Organ was dismantled and shipped to England for a major restoration by Mander Organs the facing! 1600S ; 2018 once a broom closet sculpted by Robert Baker ( `` the Princeton chapel! A gothic town church [ princeton university chapel history ] in keeping with this tradition, Office! Thousands of travelers annually from both new York City and Philadelphia, was completed in 1928 Princeton, can... Fagotto stop for the trim East Window its size and design evoke a small cathedral made Pulpit stands front., his work, and between the several academic communities of Princeton Princeton. Construction, dedication, and long use courtyard of Corpus Christi College, holds... Up the image of a large parish church or a small cathedral of the beautiful... Matthews construction Company, [ 59 ] while the south windows contain images associated with knowledge., named Milbank choir for Elizabeth Milbank Anderson [ 48 ] is elevated by steps.